Click Banner To Return To Homepage

Friday, March 22, 2013

Black Milk, Focu$, and Twitter


Something about a recent interaction between rapper/producer/musician Black Milk and aspiring producer Focu$ caught my attention.  Focu$, clearly a fan of Black Milk, hit him up on Twitter seeking advice about how to get the final mix of his music sounding right.  It should be noted that Milk is an extremely talented veteran producer who gets co-signed by the rap game's biggest producers.


Black Milk responded to Focu$ honestly and thoughtfully , even taking the time to listen to his music and offer some meaningful feedback.  He was also very humble, admitting that he himself is still learning some of the aspects of mixing and mastering.  


(Click images to enlarge)


This was striking to me.  I think Focu$' final tweet sums up the importance of the conversation best by simply stating, "No one in your position ever helps.  Thanks."  Inspired by this interaction, I decided to check out the most recent Focu$ project (The Dreamer) on Bandcamp.  Even if Focu$ doesn't feel like he has perfected his craft yet, I hope he sticks with it, as he clearly has talent.  I ended up buying a copy of The Dreamer and am enjoying listening to it as I write this piece.    


I don't want to get on a soapbox here and start a rant about social media, I just wanted to point out that it is refreshing to see an aspiring musician connect with an established musician in a meaningful and productive way.  Thank you Black Milk and Focu$ for showing us how to do this.  

If you haven't already, make sure to check out Black Milk.  His Album of the Year project belongs in your collection.

No comments: