Click Banner To Return To Homepage

Thursday, May 3, 2007

So I typed a text to a girl I used to see...New UGK featuring Outkast

Every now and then, a new rap song comes out that blows me away. It gives me that feeling I got when I first put The Chronic cassette tape in my Sony Walkman. Or when I first listened to De La Soul is Dead while reading the liner notes cover to cover. The feeling is tough to explain, but it’s a high almost nothing in my life can match. It’s the kind of feeling I get less and less every year. But recently while chilling with my cousin who DJ’s at a college bar in Amherst, MA I got put on to what I believe will be one of the biggest rap songs this year. And I got to once again feel that high.

The song is International Players Anthem by UGK feat Outkast. Three 6 Mafia handles the incredible production on this one. You can listen to the track in streaming audio by clicking here.

For those of you wishing Outkast would drop their new sound and return to their Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik, ATLiens, Aquemini ways, check for Andre 3000's verse at the beginning of the song. It's one of those verses that you're going to be rewinding over and over again until you memorize every last word.

"So I typed a text to a girl I used to see
Sayin that I chose this cutie pie with whom I wanna be
And I apologize if this message gets you down
Then I CC'd every girl that I'd see see round town and
I hate to see y'all frown but I'd rather see her smiling
Wetness all around me, true, but I'm no island
Peninsula maybe, makes no sense I know, crazy
Give up all this pussy cat that's in my lap no lookin' back
Spaceships don't come equipped with rearview mirrors..."


You'll have to check the track to get the rest, but this song sounds like a return to form for Andre and Big Boi. I wish they would make a whole album worth of songs like this.



Make sure to support UGK's newest effort, Undergroud Kingz when it drops. The release date as of now is July 17, 2007. These guys are one of the most underappreciated rap groups ever.

As a bonus, do yourself a favor and check out the video of another Three Six Mafia and UGK collabo, Sippin on Some Sizzurp.



And.....A classic Outkast banger from back in the day.

1 comment:

Jay Kowle said...

That one verse is tight. I'm not one for rap and stuff like that, but this rhyme was tight.
That's real love...