Click Banner To Return To Homepage

Sunday, March 1, 2009

This Ones For All The Past Times I Dug

Most people recognize the group Delinquent Habits for their Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass sampled hit "Tres Delinquentes"



That single is near and dear to me for many reasons, one being that it is among the first records I ever bought. Ahh, I remember it like it was...shit, that was 10 years ago. Now that I think about it, the song dropped in '96, three years before I bought the vinyl 12". Man how time flies. Anyway, it's a great song with a lot of creative sampling throughout.

While I have nothing but love for "Tres Delinquentes", it often causes listeners to overlook the rest of Delinquent Habits' self titled debut. Maybe it's not a masterpiece, but I consider this album to be somewhat of a hidden gem. While OG Style (the group's producer and DJ) created some complete duds, like "When the Stakes are High", he does have some moments of brilliance. From his sample selection to his subtle yet funky cuts, he showed a lot promise on this album.



As a compliment to the music, I love the album artwork. Rap music is famous (or should I say infamous?) for remaking classic album covers. This is a brilliant example of such covers as the three Delinquents pay homage to one of my all-time favorite films, The Warriors.





Today I'm going highlight my favorite track on the album, "Good Times". I consider this track one of the better nostalgic rap tracks out there. While Ives and Kemo (the groups' two MCs) both give solid lyrical performances, the real winner here is the beat. This is OG Styles' shining moment on the album as he laces listeners with an effectively haunting loop of "Lay Lady Lay" by the Byrds.

I'm hoping this post will spark some conversation on my blog. Please post your thoughts and feelings about this joint or anything else on the site. It takes two seconds and makes me feel like there's a purpose for all of my hard work.



or

Good Times- Delinquent Habits

Also make sure to download the original sample...



or

Lay Lady Lay- The Byrds

To download or buy the Delinquent Habits S/T album, click here.

No comments: