Click Banner To Return To Homepage

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Big K.R.I.T.


When HipHopDX claimed, "Big K.R.I.T.’s new project K.R.I.T. Wuz Here doesn’t belong in Mixtape WrapUp. This is a full-length album that will likely go down as one of the best of 2010", I thought they were jumping the gun a bit. They weren't. Check the video for "Hometown Hero" if you don't believe me.

BIG K.R.I.T. HOMETOWN HERO from Creative Control on Vimeo.

What blows me away about this cut is how effortlessly and effectively K.R.I.T. pulls off a soul sample hook and adds chopped and screwed vocals over it. As far as I know, this is the first time anyone has ever combined those two elements so successfully on a hook.

When I first heard "Hometown Hero", I thought K.R.I.T. might be a one trick pony. Not the case...at all. His K.R.I.T. Wuz Here mix tape/album is entirely self produced, and many of the tracks are standouts. If you are a fan of soulful and sample heavy beats, K.R.I.T. will not disappoint. Even the most callous, southern-hating rap snobs I know are feeling him.

While the blog scene will undoubtedly increase K.R.I.T.'s visibility, I think word of mouth is going to make this guy huge. His music seems to burn itself into people's memory. As someone who constantly shares music with my friends and family, my experience has been that when I play K.R.I.T.'s music for someone, instead of dismissively saying "Cool" or "Nice, I like it", as they would with many other artists, they want me to burn them a copy of his CD. This is telling in an era where we are so constantly bombarded with new, quality music. It's harder than ever to grab people's attention on first listen, and K.R.I.T. seems to have that sort of effect on people.


Downloa K.R.I.T. Wuz Here by clicking here.

K.R.I.T. also has a MySpace you can check, as well as a beats only MySpace page. I was floored by his "She Comin' Down" beat. That beat needs to get made into a proper song because it'd be an instant modern classic.

No comments: